Monday, November 10, 2014

Farmhouse Hutch

So I was lucky enough to purchase this beautiful piece of furniture...

 It was that dark, dark brown and it looked very dated... I chose not to sand any of the brown off. I lightly went over all of it with a coarse piece of sandpaper, and wiped it clean but that is it... I really wanted to keep that dark brown under so I could pull it through when I got ready to distress the piece... Of course I took it white (my kids claim that its my favorite color but my favorite is red) but I love decorating with white. There is something so clean and classic that I just love about white furniture... So after coat and coat of white paint (it literally took weeks not going to lie)...  I eventually got it all painted white, then came the fun part, the distressing... This also took time and caused blisters and I was worried I was over doing it blah blah blah... But I wanted this piece to look like it had been sitting outside for days and days I mean years and years! So I just kept going... Its funny how after painting it things I didn't notice before, like the paneling back, and the cute details on the drawers really popped once it was white... They popped even more when I started distressing it... After I was done with all of that I used miniwax wax and evenly went over all of it, sealing it! I am still debating weather I want to put the original hardware back on it or find new... Like I said after weeks and weeks, this baby now has a permanent place in my kitchen and in my heart! Lots of blood, sweat, and tears went into it, ha not really ;) but a lot of time did and I couldn't be happier with it!





BEFORE

AFTER STILL NEEDS HARDWARE


Do you see the cute paneling on the back?

Work in progress

No comments:

Post a Comment